LIFT OFF: Children watchballoons being released to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their schools.
IT WAS UP, up and away for hundreds of balloons which were released as part of the celebrations for the 40th anniversary of two Brentwood schools.
The launch had to be delayed due to poor weather but it was a glorious sight when the pupils at St Thomas of Canterbury CofE Infant and Junior Schools let go of the strings and watched the colourful balloons sail off into the sky.
The date, July 9, had been chosen for a celebration day as it is the date the foundation stone was laid at their Sawyers Hall Lane site in 1967.
The schools moved there the following year from former premises in Coptfold Road and were officially opened by HRH Duchess of Kent.
The schools, which were originally joined as a primary, are actually far older than 40.
Most records agree that it was originally set up in 1835 but there is evidence of a Penny School attached to the church dating back as far as 1715.
On the original celebration day a special event for all current pupils and staff and former teachers and governors was held.
In the afternoon 1967 style party games were organised and all pupils received a commemorative bookmark to celebrate the occasion.