A SIX-YEAR-OLD boy with autism saved his mum's life when she suffered an allergic reaction to a wasp sting.
Charlie Major jabbed mum Charmaine in the right leg with a life-saving EpiPen that she has carried ever since being hospitalised by a sting four years ago.
An EpiPen contains a needle which delivers a measured dose of adrenaline that treats the onset of anaphylactic shock, which can prove fatal.
Charlie, who also has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, turned superhero when Charmaine trod on the wasp while walking barefoot in the back garden on Friday evening.
Mother-of-two Charmaine, 30, said: "I rushed to get the EpiPen I carry in my handbag but, try as I could, I found it impossible to use it.
"I started sweating, I became dizzy, my throat began to swell and I was trembling so much I could not hold the EpiPen steady."
Charlie, who attends Thriftwood special school, Galleywood, calmly took the device from his mother saying: "Mummy I can do it for you".
But Charlie's first attempt lacked the power needed for the needle to penetrate her skin.
Charmaine said: "Charlie tried again and this time he hit me hard in the leg and the needle went in. I told him to wait a little and then rub the area for ten counts so that the medicine kicked in.
"He was so pleased when he heard the EpiPen click, which meant it had worked, that he asked me if it was sharp and if it hurt me.
"Charlie had never even seen the EpiPen before and had never seen me use it.
"It goes to show that just because a child has special needs, it doesn't mean they can't do things. I feel so confident to know my little first aider can step in during an emergency."
Charmaine's partner James Smith said: "We are all so very proud of Charlie, it was such a brave thing for him to do. To be honest, if he had not been there I hate to think what may have happened.
"It's hard enough for any young child to do it, but for a child with autism, we feel it's a massive achievement for him."
Charmaine discovered she was allergic to insect stings in 2008, when she was rushed to hospital after being attacked by a wasp.
"The medical team saved my life and told me to always carry an EpiPen in case it happened again. I keep one in the house and one in my handbag all the time, it's certainly proved its worth."
Head teacher Sally Davies, of Thriftwood School, said: "Charlie is a lovely little boy who joined the school in April and has always been one that looked out for other classmates.
"He is a very caring boy and what he did for his mother is remarkable and, truly, he deserves a medal, considering his age and his autism.
"He has not been boastful or big-headed about his achievement, we are all proud of him."